Link to manufacturer's information:
- Typically runs small in the seat size.
- I have found that most customers need to go up at least 1/2" in size in Delgrange versus their size in other French brands.
- However, some older Delgrange saddles (i.e. mid - 1990s or so) run true to size.
- In my experience, a regular Delgrange tree (in the more recent model years) has a nice amount of room to it. Thus, this might make a versatile choice if you need to ride a range of different horses, or if you have a horse that needs a fit that is in between medium and wide. Older models (from the mid-1990s or so) typically have a regular tree that is more suitable for your typical TB build type of horse.
- Flap lengths are relative to the seat size for Delgrange, so flap numbers work differently than on Antares, Devoucoux, or CWD. The following chart for Delgrange saddles may be helpful:
Seat size Standard flap Other flap options Special order only flap options
1 or 3
2 or 4
3 or 5
- In my experience, the appropriateness of the flap length can be better determined by comparing measurements in inches to another saddle than comparing the manufacturer's flap number to another manufactuere's flap number. I recommend comparing the flap length in inches (measured from the stirrup bar to the end of the flap) to a saddle that fits you well so you compare the inches rather than mere flap numbers. For example, I have seen a Delgrange 5 flap that fit a rider's leg nicely who was looking for a Devoucoux 2 flap. Thus, I recommend looking at the measurement in inches, rather than relying on the flap number to determine a good fit.
- One of the most popular Delgrange saddles for many years was the PJ series (including the PJ Original, PJ Light, and PJ Pro/Partition models). However, more recent PJs are no longer made by Delgrange. If you liked the feel of the Delgrange-made PJs, choosing another model from the current Delgrange line is probably going to give you the feel you are familiar with. The PJ Lite is now the Bruno Delgrange Athena. The PJ Pro is the Bruno Delgrange Partition,and The PJ Original is now the Bruno Delgrange Virtuose. If you notice on the flap for these saddle there will be a A, P, or V in front of the seat size.
The newer PJ saddles are not made by Delgrange and are a different product.